We are in the midst of buying a new family home so vacations are not top priority right now but a lot of my friends are heading abroad for some super sunny rays in the February half term holidays and have asked me for tips. All this thought of holidays means we can’t wait to book our own summer holiday!
A bandeau style Juicy Couture dress worn in Beverly Hills LA a few years ago.
Here’s what I like to wear on holiday somewhere hot!
…When it comes to packing, I become one super organised efficient fashionista (my husband laughs that I like to pack at least 2 weeks before we travel) but it saves on washing and ironing right before you leave and I like to get my holiday wardrobe ready early.
Pre planning means I can try my best to keep things light and useful as well as pretty too.
1. First up I fill my case with lots of fitted plain and patterned tees (everything from Commes de Garcons and Acne to Topshop and Uniqlo) along with cute denim skirts usually by Levi’s and H&M.
2. I always take at least 4-5 chic, classic yet comfy day dresses (for museum trips and excursions) that can also work at night with statement jewellery (hello Juicy Couture, Zara and Mango). I roll these up when packing to prevent creasing and help free up some much needed suitcase space whiles I’m at it.
2. Beach Dresses-these are usually bought while I’m away by cute waterfront beach stores but Gap, Topshop and H&M do fab maxis and short cotton beach dresses too. I head for classic white and black a-line and figure hugging frocks along with lots of sunny stand-out neons and I do love a navy and white stripe number by the pool too! So everything under the sun (literally) then!
3. I take at least three bikinis when we go away for two weeks with my must-have classic black flattering two piece always making the cut, a pretty floral bikini and a bright (usually pink) one for when my tan has started to glow! I love Debenhams’ range of bikinis, particularly collections by J by Jasper Conran and Ultimate Beach and We are Handsome at Asos are pricey but heart-stoppingly stunning. I often add a black swimming costume (Speedo do a great one) too but I do tend to stick to bikinis when away to let that sun kiss my tum too.
4. Accessories: I must admit jewellery, hats and sunglasses do take pride of place when it comes to holiday packing. I usually wear my fedora on the plane (yes I’m that crazy chick who can’t bear a crumpled hat) and shades include my token black Prada’s, gifted Chanel’s and a pair of red vintage Versace’s. Husband is a Ray-Ban fan and I’ve been known to nick his if I forget mine before a day out.
Jewellery tends to be bright statement pieces from Accessorize and Zara and I love to pick up unique, hand crafted pieces from boutiques, markets and fairs abroad.
5. Footwear for me includes various pairs of sandals, usually gold, tan and silver gladiators along with my trusty neon collection of havaianas for the beach and (mid) high heels (if away with the kids) for night time dinners and cocktails usually Mascaro heels, Office 70’s inspired chunky sandals and Next Gina style sparkly shoes.
I actually take a ridiculous amount of shoes away with me when I go on holiday but I do end up wearing them all. Importantly I always pack my shoes first and I like to put them in shoe bags not to dirty my clothes. And I think that’s all folks! My holiday wardrobe.
…Hmmm, I might have exaggerated when I used the term ‘light packing’ !
So what do you like to take with you when you go away?!
Buy my bestselling book in paperback or audio
My debut book is my guide to surviving and thriving at work and at home and offers insight into how to create a digital business or return to work with confidence.
Mumboss: The Honest Mum's Guide to Surviving and Thriving at Work and at Home (UK 2nd Edition)