Since becoming a Mama, a couple of my friends have mentioned in passing that they would love me to be their Mum because I’m so fun (how cool is that?)
I can’t adopt two 35 year olds because my hands are full with a 5 year old, toddler and husband (and we would all end up on Jeremy Kyle) but I think it might just have been the best compliment I’ve ever received. A bit like winning an Oscar for parenting. I still want a real Oscar though.
So in 5 easy steps, you too can follow my lead and become a fun/ more fun mum. Here’s how:
1. Dance and Drive. Shake that tushy in the driver’s seat but always being safe of course! Eyes on the road, arms in the air (only at the traffic lights)! Now get those tunes going and feel the beat.
2. Do impersonations. Personal favourite is Margaret Thatcher (the kids have no clue who she was) so it’s fine if it’s not Meryl Streep standard. Failing that, impersonating Postman Pat (‘Alright Jess’), Big and Small (essentially Lenny Henry baritone, or soprano style- a guy needs to eat I suppose) and even the weakest of aspiring thespian parents can do any one of the Waybuloo crowd (just cooh then strike a yoga pose). Told you it was easy to be fun.
3. MTV. This one is interchangeable with no.1 and some might say, a little safer. Get MTV (Base, Rock) whatever gets you on the dancefloor living room floor with your kids (optional) and shake that booty. Hours of fun and just like clubbing. (Clubbing at home with no friends, cocktails or queues for the toilet). What’s not to love?
4. Take a bath. I know what you’re thinking. Why didn’t I think of that? Often if it’s just the toddler and I, a few hours to kill in the day on my day off, I run a bath. Nothing more fun than taking a bath together. The kid loves playing with his bath toys, we throw in some bubbles, bingo. Cheap, clean fun.
5. Get in the ball pit at the ‘dreaded but fun really’ soft play. I know, you’re shuddering just thinking about it (the germs, the germs) but forget about all the slobber, and let your inner child be free.
So there you are, go forth and let the fun begin.
Buy my bestselling book in paperback or audio
My debut book is my guide to surviving and thriving at work and at home and offers insight into how to create a digital business or return to work with confidence.
Mumboss: The Honest Mum's Guide to Surviving and Thriving at Work and at Home (UK 2nd Edition)