This is a favourite here, especially as I’m vegan.
A vegan diet reduces the risk for heart disease and Type 2 diabetes, it improves mental well-being (I have been far less stressed since going vegan despite being busier than ever) and my skin is glowing.
Now for my vegan curry…
Curries have a bad rep in the health department for the most part, but this homemade vegan curry is a winner on many accounts: low in fat and packed full of nutrients, vitamins, protein and fibre, this is good for the body, mind and environment too.
Enjoy it with a creamy and also vegan mango lassi
Vegan Chickpea Curry With Brown Rice And Mango Lassi
Ingredients for the curry
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 onions, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 fresh red chilli, finely sliced
- 1 x 400g tin of organic coconut cream
- 1 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp of Marigold Swiss Vegetable Organic Vegan Bouillon Powder
- 2 x 400g tins of chickpeas
- 300g of brown basmati rice
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- A handful of coconut flakes and a fresh chilli for the garnish
Heat the coconut oil in a large pan until it liquefies. Add the onion, garlic and red chilli and cook until ingredients are softened and fragrant.
Add in the coconut cream, mustard seeds, cumin, coriander, turmeric, Bouillon Powder and chickpeas. Stir together and cook on a medium heat for 15-20 minutes, stirring regularly.
Cook your brown basmati rice according to the cooking instructions on the packet. When cooked (we like to serve it slightly al dente), drain any excess water and serve with the curry.
Dish the curry up and season.
Sprinkle coconut flakes on the curry and a sprig of coriander to garnish.
Mango Lassi Ingredients
- 2 ripe mangos
- 500g soy or coconut yoghurt
- 80g cubed ice
- 3 tsps of maple syrup (add more or less as per your taste, or skip all together)
- 1 tablespoon of rosewater (optional – alternatively you could use cardamom pods or saffron)
Add maple syrup, mango and rosewater to a blender or nutribullet. Blend until you have a smooth, thick mixture. Add the soy/coconut yoghurt, blend until mixed in.
Add the ice and blend one last time until mixture is smooth and pour into a glass to serve. Yum!
Let me know if you try it, please!