Light, tasty and quick to make, this is my Mum’s favourite cake recipe. I need to make it vegan for myself next.
Let me know if you try it.
Makes 8-10 servings
- 110 g mixed brown and white rice flour (we love Doves Farm gluten free rice flour)
- 20 g unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 56 g unsalted butter at room temperature
- 125 g granulated sugar
- 42 g bittersweet dark chocolate, melted and cooled
- 2 large free range eggs
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- 100 ml whole milk, at room temperature
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Grease an 8-inch round cake tin and line the bottom with parchment paper.
Sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt into a large bowl. Whisk or stir rapidly to form a chocolaty mixture.
In another large bowl, beat the butter until creamy. Add sugar and beat until light and fluffy, adding in the melted chocolate until combined.
Beat in egg and vanilla to the mixture. Add the flour and milk.
Pour the mixture into the cake tin and bake for approx 35 minutes. Insert a skewer into the centre to check it has cooked through.
Cool and serve with single cream if you like.