I’ve been thinking a lot about the little things lately. The things we so often take for granted as is natural in life, but contribute to my overall happiness.
I thought I’d list these sweet things for myself really, as a reminder of what matters when life can feel overwhelming and I need to regroup. To help remind myself what makes my heart sing.
I hope it inspires you to remember too.
- The sweet honey-scented skin of my amazing boys when I kiss their sweet cheeks and hold them close.
- My children’s contagious laughter when I tickle them, or we watch an episode of The Simpsons together.
- The Simpsons. And reliving my childhood through my kids. They adore Fun House and Nightmare on YouTube, and I love feeling 10 again myself, a time where life felt and was so simple as childhood should feel.
- Waking up to sunshine. Despite the cold, those precious rays lift me up and remind me that spring is on its way.
- Writing a post like this, a book of 63,000 words, or a line in a card to a loved one. The joy that sharing brings.
- The way my husband looks at me, the same way today as he did when we first met.
- Speaking to my best friends every single week. Nothing beats a phone call bar a Skype call.
- Wedges, despite them making me trip my way through life. I love the way they elongate my legs and make me look as tall as I feel in my head.
- Chocolate mousse with dollops of extra thick cream.
- Celebs Go Dating, First Dates, Made in Chelsea and Don’t Tell The Bride. I live for Reality TV.
- Painting. I forgot how happy painting makes me feel but promised myself I’d pick up a brush again after writing my book and I’m so glad I have.
- When the food shop gets delivered and the fridge is fit to burst full of possibility and milk chocolate!
- Homemade cappuccino from our recent machine that’s brought immeasurable happiness to Peter and I.
- An exciting, unexpected email.
- A hello from a reader in the street.
- A hug with someone who needs it most and when I need it most too.
- Train journeys.
- Clouds forming faces in the sky.
- Ed Sheeran’s Perfect Symphony with Andrea Bocelli.
- Dua Lipa and how much I needed her voice as a teen.
- A new dress. Bag, shoes or make-up. Cat eye shades.
What’s on your list?