Calling all my foodie readers. I’m giving away a wonderful competition prize today which is also one of my favourite cookbooks.
Very Veggie Family Cookbook is packed full of vegetarian and vegan delights that will excite both kids and adults alike.
Written by Sara Ask and Lisa Bjärbo, I also wanted to share one of the cookbook’s recipes on my blog to whet your appetite.
Their Teriyaki Tofu With Mangetout is bursting with flavour yet quick and easy to make so it’s perfect for busy mamas like myself. I use non egg noodles for myself and Oliver.
Over to Sara and Lisa for the recipe and you can enter the fab competition at the end of the post.
TERIYAKI TOFU WITH MANGETOUT
A quick and simple Japanese-inspired tofu dish, with sweetness from the teriyaki sauce and a bit of sting from the fresh ginger. If you want to cut down on the sweetness and instead add more saltiness, reduce the amount of teriyaki sauce and increase the amount of soy sauce for the marinade.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 500g/1lb 2oz natural firm tofu
- 150ml/¼ pint/scant ²∕³ cup teriyaki sauce (shop-bought or homemade – see recipe below)
- 2 tbsp Japanese soy sauce
- 2 tbsp grated fresh root ginger
- rapeseed oil, for frying
- 115g/4oz/1¼ cups mangetout, cut into strips
- a few drops of sesame oil (optional)
- 320g/11¼oz/2 cups egg noodles
- sesame seeds, to garnish
For the Teriyaki Sauce marinade
- 1 large garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp grated fresh root ginger
- 100ml/3½floz/scant ½ cup Japanese soy sauce
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar or mirin (Japanese rice wine)
- 2 tsp potato flour
- Squeeze as much water out of the tofu as you can by pressing with a tea towel or kitchen paper. Press hard so that the liquid is soaked up, but not so hard that the tofu crumbles. It’s easiest if the tofu has been frozen first. Dice the tofu into 1cm/¾in cubes.
- For the marinade, mix together the teriyaki sauce, soy sauce and grated ginger in a non-metallic bowl or plastic bag. Add the tofu cubes and leave to marinate for at least 10 minutes.
- Remove the tofu cubes from the marinade (but save the marinade).
- Heat a little oil in a frying pan and gently fry the tofu cubes and mangetout for about 1 minute. Add a few drops of sesame oil, if using.
- Cook the noodles according to the packet instructions.
- Pour the remaining marinade over the noodles and stir gently, then add the tofu and mangetout and mix together carefully. Serve sprinkled with some sesame seeds.
Ready-made teriyaki sauce is available in most supermarkets, but it’s also easy to make your own. The sauce will keep fresh for several weeks in the fridge.
- Mix the garlic, ginger, soy sauce, sugar, vinegar and 3 tbsp water in a pan and bring to the boil.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in the potato flour to thicken the sauce, then pour through a sieve.
To win Very Veggie Family Cookbook (worth £14.99) enter via The Rafflecopter below
Very Veggie Family Cookbook by Sara Ask and Lisa Bjärbo, published by Pavilion. Recipe photography by Ulrika Pousette.
Ends Aug 26th 2016.
No cash alternative.