Updated post. We love Pancake Day in this family but to be honest Papa G has a penchant for pancakes all year long. I distinctly remember treat breakfasts of piles of pancakes growing up and my Dad teaching my brother and I how to make the perfect pancake.
Here is the classic sugar and lemon combo but my Dad prefers his with raspberries, strawberries and lemon toppings!
They are pretty.
They are quick to make too and you can freeze them.
200g plain flour
2 free range and organic medium eggs
50g unsalted butter, melted plus extra for frying
15g caster sugar
a pinch of salt
2 lemons, rind grated then cut into wedges, to serve
4 tbsp caster sugar for sprinkling
1. Put the sifted flour, eggs, melted butter, caster sugar and salt in a large mixing bowl.
Mix gently, then whisk in the milk until you have a smooth batter with no lumps.
Cover and rest in the fridge for 30 minutes.
2. Stir the batter gently before using.
3. Put a little butter in a non-stick frying pan set over a medium heat and let it melt (not smoking) and coat the pan.
4. Using a ladle, pour a 13 cm circle of batter into the pan and evenly spread a quarter of the raspberries on top of the pancake.
5. Cook for 2 minutes or until the pancake is golden brown on one side. Gently lift the edges with a small palette knife until you can feel it is completely detached from the pan and flip the pancake over. Cook the other side for a further 2 minutes.
6. Lift the pancake from the pan and turn it over on to a serving plate. Scatter with lemon rind and some of the caster sugar and serve with a lemon wedge.
Repeat until you cook all four perfect pancakes.
Handy tip: You can make use blueberries or strawberries, lemon rind and sugar or a combination of these instead.
Lemon and sugar pancake with grated lemon zest on top.
Strawberry and blueberry pancake.
Let me know if you try them, won’t you!
Buy my bestselling book in paperback or audio
My debut book is my guide to surviving and thriving at work and at home and offers insight into how to create a digital business or return to work with confidence.
Mumboss: The Honest Mum's Guide to Surviving and Thriving at Work and at Home (UK 2nd Edition)