Apple is a great alternative to lettuce for salads. Sweet, crunchy and delicious, it has the perfect amount of tanginess for a lunchtime dish.
Together with the fresh lime juice in the dressing, this apple salad has a tremendous citrus flavour that really packs a punch (who said salads were boring hey!?).
My husband Peter enjoys his with peanuts which adds to the crunchiness of the salad.
This is the ideal vegan recipe.
For the salad
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, finely sliced
- 3-4 Granny Smith apples, finely sliced
- Large handful of cherry tomatoes, halved
- Handful of chopped peanuts
For the dressing
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- The juice of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and very finely chopped
- 1/2 red chilli, very finely chopped
In a small bowl or measuring jug, whisk together your dressing ingredients. Cover in clingfilm and set in the fridge.
Heat the olive oil in a small frying pan and fry the onions for around 10 minutes, until crispy.
Arrange the apple on a place and add the tomatoes, onion and peanuts. Drizzle with the dressing.