I wanted to share this healthy, wholesome low GI soup I rustled up that the kids adored. They asked for second helpings!
I experimented with the ingredients I had in the house already so added coconut milk, 2 whole oranges, sweet potatoes and carrots so there’s a little Thai influence there- a thick, flavoursome, sweet soup that won’t spike blood sugar and will keep you full for hours.
- Mild olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced 1 medium to large sweet potato, thinly sliced
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 500ml vegetable stock (vegan)
- 600ml or coconut milk
- the juice of 2 large oranges
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- single cream, basil leaves and coconut flakes for garnish
In a large deep based pot, fry garlic, onion and carrots until golden, add the sweet potatoes and cover with vegetable stock. Bring to the boil on low until the vegetables are soft. This usually takes 20 minutes. Add the coconut milk and juice and simmer for a few minutes. Season and serve.
Here we garnished with a little single cream, a basil leaf and coconut flakes.