My eldest love this recipe so I wanted to share it here.
Salted Caramel Popcorn Apples
500g shop bought dairy toffees
50ml double cream
1/4 tsp good quality rock salt (crushed)
8 apples & 8 lollipop sticks
Metcalfe’s skinny Salted Caramel Popcorn
1. Wash the apples under a hot tap and dry completely (this will wash off any waxy residue that will prevent the caramel from sticking).
2. Place a lollipop stick in the top of each apple and then place a baking tray in the freezer to cool it, this will prevent pools of caramel at the bases of the apples.
3. Place the toffees and the double cream in a saucepan over a low to medium heat and continually stir until melted, combined and runny enough to coat the spoon, then add the rock salt and mix until dissolved.
4. Dip the apples in the caramel, coating as evenly as possible and allowing any excess to drip off before placing on your cooled baking tray that has now been lined with greaseproof paper.
5. Pop the apples in the fridge for a few minutes to allow the caramel to set slightly.
6. Pour a bag of Metcalfe’s skinny Salted Caramel popcorn into a bowl and then either dip the apples into the popcorn to coat.
7. Allow to set in the fridge before serving.
To make the caramel from scratch
500g granulated sugar
125ml double cream
1/4 tsp rock salt
10. Put the sugar and water in a clean saucepan and place over a medium heat.
11. Stir with a wooden spoon until the sugar has dissolved and stars to boil.
12. Remove the spoon and stop stirring whilst the sugar boils. You can swirl the saucepan to ensure it evenly caramelises.
13. When it reaches a deep amber colour and the bubbles have become really small on the surface of the caramel add your double cream whilst stirring at the same time. (This will bubble aggressively and create a lot of steam so keep your face away from the pan).
14. Stir in the salt then allow the caramel to cool slightly, it should thicken too.
Prepare & dip the apples in the same way as the other recipe.
Buy my bestselling book in paperback or audio
My debut book is my guide to surviving and thriving at work and at home and offers insight into how to create a digital business or return to work with confidence.
Mumboss: The Honest Mum's Guide to Surviving and Thriving at Work and at Home (UK 2nd Edition)