Vegan carbonara hits the spot whether you’re plant-based or not, in fact, my eldest couldn’t tell the difference from standard carbonara and you know what tough critics 10 year olds are!
This is seriously quick, easy aka lazy vegan carbonara and you can substitute ingredients eg. use oat milk or soya depending on your preference.
- 12 oz spaghetti (gluten free if preferred)
- 4 tablespoons mild (quality) olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 1/2 cups non-dairy cream (I used soya)
- 1/2 cup of flour (gluten-free if preferred)
- water/dash of non dairy milk
- squeeze of lemon lemon juice
- a packet of vegan ham (we like Quorn), sliced lengthways
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon Himalyan pink salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Boil the spaghetti in boiling water with a drop of oil in the pan and a little salt. Cook as per the packet ingredients.
In a medium sized pan, fry the onion and garlic in the oil until golden. Add the vegan cream and flour, whisking to prevent lumps. Add non dairy milk/ water if the sauce becomes too thick. Squeeze the lemon and add the vegam ham. Season with nutritional yeast, salt and pepper. Garnish with parsley.
Told you it was quick.
Let me know if you make it won’t you!
For more vegan recipes.
This is not a sponsored post.