You can’t beat a good chocolate cake. Sometimes the classics are just the best, aren’t they?
With a succulent and gooey centre and melt in the mouth icing…I’m getting choc cake cravings just writing this post!
Its a simple, easy to follow chocolate cake recipe, topped with chocolate icing and then jazzed up to party perfection with sweets and all kinds of delights!
And kids are guaranteed to love this super fun treat for sure (mine definitely did)!
For the fundraiser, I used a mix of jelly sweets, Cadbury’s Chocolate Fingers and marshmallows but feel free to let your imagination (and sweet tooth!) run wild.
Ain’t it a beaut?!
Perfect Party Chocolate Cake
For the cake
- 225g/8oz plain flour
- 350g/12½oz caster sugar
- 85g/3oz cocoa powder
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 free-range eggs
- 250ml/9fl oz milk
- 125ml/4½fl oz light olive oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 250ml/9fl oz boiling water
For the icing
- 200g/7oz plain chocolate
- 200ml/7fl oz double cream
- Sweets, marshmallows, and biscuits for decorating
- Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4. Grease and line sandwich tin.
- Place all of the cake ingredients, except the boiling water, into a large mixing bowl. Using a wooden spoon, or electric whisk, beat the mixture until smooth and well combined.
- Add the boiling water to the mixture, a little at a time, until smooth. (The cake mixture will now be very liquid.)
- Pour the cake batter into tin and bake in the oven for 25-35 minutes, or until the top is firm to the touch and a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and leave to cool
- For the chocolate icing, heat the chocolate and cream in a saucepan over a low heat until the chocolate melts. Remove the pan from the heat and whisk the mixture until smooth, glossy and thickened. Set aside to cool for 1-2 hours, or until thick enough to spread over the cake.
- Spread a little chocolate icing over the top and side of the cake. Covering it generously.
- Decorate as you wish with candy and other sweet treats!