My Perfect Meringue Recipe

strawberries and meringue

Last week saw me unleash my inner Mary Berry with a quest to create the perfect meringue. There’s nothing better than a crispy, chewy in the middle meringue with fresh strawberries and cream as a light dessert.

They have however earned a reputation of being notoriously hard to make, but follow these few golden rules and every meringue will be moorish melt-in-the-mouth loveliness.

1. Make sure all your baking equipment is absolutely spotless! Even the tiniest speck of grease can hamper your baking efforts!

2. Separate your eggs when they are straight from the fridge and cold, but only beat into the mixture once the egg whites are at room temperature.

3. According to the meringue maker extraordinaire,Yotam Ottolenghi, you can’t rush meringue making. Your oven should never be set to more than 70°c and be prepared to bake them for up to 5 hours in order to achieve the most heavenly of meringues! Remember good things come to those who wait…

Enjoy!

strawberries and meringue

Recipe (Serves 10)

Ingredients:

• 5 egg whites
  • 300g caster sugar (or golden if you prefer a caramelised flavour)
  • 1 tbsp vanilla essence

Method:

Pre-heat oven to 70°c and pre-line two baking trays with parchment paper.

Separate your egg whites and to a grease free, pristine bowl. Whisk until stiff and it clings to the side of the bowl. I like to use a whisk for this.

Add vanilla essence and caster sugar one spoonful at a time, continue to whisk until the mixture becomes glossy.

Scoop the mixture (I piped these to look as professional as possible) into 10 large portions onto the baking tray

Add to the oven and bake on a low heat for 4 – 5 hours until lovely and crisp on the outside

Serve with fresh strawberries and whipped cream

strawberries and meringue

Let me know if you make them!

Like what you've read? Then why not follow Vicki on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Pinterest and Instagram

Never Miss A Post!

Subscribe to HonestMum for my weekly email newsletter where I share my new blog posts, blogging tips, event invitations, competitions and news about my new book. I never share your personal data with third parties.

64 Responses

1. Richard

Great Linky this week and some really good recipes, thanks as always for hosting 😀
    Richard recently posted…Chicken, Pek, Leek and Sage Leftover PieMy Profile

2. Michelle Reeves (bod for tea)

Wow these look super delicious! We were at a dinner party on Friday night and had the most heavenly pavlova with lemon curd stirres through the cream – delicious! Adding this to my Evernote recipe folder as I really need to conquor meringues x
    Michelle Reeves (bod for tea) recently posted…An interview with Boucleme founder Michele Scott-LynchMy Profile

3. Alison

I never mastered meringues, great tips. Yours look lovely, will have to give them another go
    Alison recently posted…Greek Rice pudding (Rizogalo)My Profile

• honestmum

Thanks lovely and can’t wait to read your Greek rice pudding recipe, I have one from my Dad on the blog too x

4. Eileen Teo

Thanks for the tips! I love baking them but I hate it when they crack on the side! I will write down the tips and start practising!
    Eileen Teo recently posted…DIY Fabric Book CoverMy Profile

• honestmum

Oh I know that feeling and I did practice, not all came out perfectly, we only shot the ones that did! Thanks x

5. Adele Clarke

I’ve always been a bit scared to attempt meringues but I might just give it a go now. They look great!
    Adele Clarke recently posted…Creamy Feta Chicken with Lime & Coriander RiceMy Profile

6. Corina

Your meringues are beautiful! Perfect for dinner parties too.
    Corina recently posted…What’s New In My Kitchen: February 2015My Profile

7. Babes about Town

These look like little clouds from heaven. Perfection! Your talents are boundless mama. I am bookmarking for sure, we love meringues at Casa Babes x

8. Anna Fraser

Hi Vicky! this looks absolutely divine and your beautiful photography alone is making me want to give meringue a go.
    Thanks for the linky!
    Anna x

9. Laura @ Life with Baby Kicks

Ooh these look delicious! The other tip I was always given is to leave them in the oven with the door closed until its cooled down and then they will be perfect.

I am yet to try making them though!

10. Rosie @Eco-Gites of Lenault

Mmmmm – love meringues and we do tend to eat quite a lot once the hens go mad laying eggs. We like ours a bit gooey in the middle though so cook them slightly hotter for slightly less time.

11. Rachel

My first time to this linky (new blogger). Thanks for hosting. I love meringues. Saw your post on Instagram this morning. Just beautiful..I don’t think I’ve ever managed to make any so pretty! Quite excited to go and see what everyone else has linked up now! X

12. MARY LOUISE

I have never tried to make meringue as it seems like a tricky recipe. Maybe i should try! I love the sticky bits.
    Your styling is very cute – pretty napkins! x

13. International Elf Service

oh wow your meringues look amazing. They’re the one big addiction in this house and one member of the family (no names) ate 7 in one sitting!!!! This looks great for those family gatherings and when friends come over for lunch! thank you so much for hosting!

• honestmum

They’re amazing and wow 7 in one sitting, hahah, I’m impressed! Perfect for family gatherings. Thanks for your lovely comment!