This delicious recipe is one of my husband’s all-time favourite pasta dishes created by his mum, my wonderful mother-in-law Cathy. A dab-hand in the kitchen, her food is always vibrant, healthy and incredibly tasty too.
You can make this with gluten-free pasta if you prefer and we serve it up without chilli for the kids (piling it on for ourselves) and I omit the feta as I’m vegan.
It makes for the perfect lunch and we keep herbs on our windowsill which flourish there all year round. It’s wonderful to create dishes with homegrown fruit, veg and herbs isn’t it?!
Let me know if you make this, won’t you?
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 10 ml dried or fresh basil
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 4 medium tomatoes, peeled and cut into pieces
- 1-2 bunches spinach, washed and chopped
- 1-2 large white onions, chopped
- 1 large red pepper, chopped
- 150 ml olive oil
- 500 g pasta
- grated cheese for serving (feta or parmesan works well)
Pour 100 ml of oil into a bowl and add garlic, basil, seasoning and tomatoes. Steam the spinach. Cook the pasta. Fry the onions and red pepper in 50 ml oil until soft then add the spinach. Mix well and add to the pasta. Mix the pasta with the tomatoes and vegetables and allow to stand for 30 minutes on a hot plate or tray.