How pretty does these divine dessert too. Go make Matcha Shortbread Ice Cream Sandwiches with Black Sesame Seeds and delight your family. Thank you to Wing Yip for this recipe.
This is not a paid collaboration.
Makes 18 sandwiches
- 250 g plain flour
- 15 g matcha powder
- 170 g butter, at room temperature
- Pinch of salt
- 130 g icing sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 300 ml vanilla ice cream (using a block of ice cream is ideal)
- 100 g black sesame seeds
- To make the cookies, sift together the flour and matcha powder into a large bowl.
- Either by hand or using an electric mixer, blend the butter until soft and creamy being careful not to overwhip it. Add the salt and icing sugar and then slowly mix, gradually increasing the speed until evenly combined. Lightly whisk the egg yolks in a small bowl and then slowly add to the butter mix. Keep mixing until smooth.
- On a slow speed add the flour mixture to the butter mix 1 heaped tbsp at a time until everything is evenly combined.
- Tip the biscuit mixture onto a lightly floured surface and lightly knead to bring together, roll into a thick cylinder and wrap in clingfilm. Leave to rest in the fridge for 1-2 hours.
- Slice the cylinder into rounds or roll out and use a cutter to cut your biscuits. You should get 36 biscuits which are approximately 1.5cm in height from the mixture.
- Place the cut biscuits onto a baking tray lined with parchment paper and then cover with cling film and refrigerate again for 1-2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 175°c and then bake the biscuits for 12-15 minutes until the edges are slightly browned. Check the biscuits a few minutes before the end of the cooking time to ensure that they don’t overcook. Once cooked, remove from the oven and leave to cool on the baking tray for 15 minutes, and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- When your biscuits are completely cooled you are ready to assemble the sandwiches. Put the black sesame seeds into a bowl ready for the assemble sandwiches. If using a block of ice cream slice in 1-inch thick slices and then using the same biscuit cutter cut the ice cream into rounds. Place between two biscuits with the top side of the biscuits facing outwards.
- Dip the outside of the ice cream sandwich into the black sesame seeds and lightly roll to lightly cover the ice cream with the sesame seeds. Place the completed sandwiches into the freezer whilst you make the rest.
- The biscuits should only be stored in the freezer for a few hours before serving to ensure the biscuits don’t completely freeze. Remove from the freezer for 10-15 minutes before serving to let the biscuits soften slightly.
Read their easy vegan Banoffee Pie recipe.