Below is my dad’s recipe for this grilled salmon and asparagus is one of the children’s favourite dinners. It’s quick and easy.
- 4 salmon fillets
- ground black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for serving
- a little fresh oregano or finely chopped flatleaf parsley, to serve
- 400g pack of asparagus
- a whole lemon halved and sliced for garnish
- sea salt
- Wash the salmon fillets and pat dry. Rub with pepper on both sides, but not salt as it dries the fish.
- Peel and cut the garlic into slivers.
- Heat a heavy ridged griddle pan on the hob. Fry the garlic then place each fillet onto the griddle pan. Cook for 3 minutes then turn over.
- Meanwhile chop the ends off the asparagus and boil in salted water for 2-4 minutes until they turn bright green. Remove and place in an ice bath (bowl with water and ice cubes) if you are not eating immediately.
- Lay them on your plate and place the salmon fillet on top.
- Sprinkle with a little oregano or parsley, drizzle with olive oil, fresh lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.