I love rice pudding and this vegan Coconut and Cardamom Rice Pudding version is ideal for little and big mouths to feed.
It can be found in Rachel Boyett’s brilliant new book Little Veggie Eats, the first full-colour vegetarian and vegan weaning guide, perfect for any parents who are keen to reduce their family’s dairy, meat and fish intake, and save the planet.
Mother of three and lifetime vegetarian, Rachel Boyett was keen to only cook one meal when weaning her first baby, so began to create easy, nutritious recipes that all the family can enjoy.
With over 60 meals and snacks, all with simple adaptations and ingredient tweaks to suit the whole family, Little Veggie Eats is the perfect companion for every day delicious home cooking.
Over to Rachel for her recipe.
Rice pudding, for me, is the ultimate comfort food. This version is made with coconut milk so it is dairy-free but just as creamy and delicious as regular rice pudding. I’ve also made it with a mix of brown rice and quinoa to up the protein and fibre content.
It tastes great on its own, but to make it even more decadent you could add some quick berry compote, apple sauce or mango chia jam.
PREP: 3 minutes prep
COOK: 30 minutes (20 minutes if you use white rice)
SERVES: 2 adults and a baby
Ideal first food
- 1 x 400ml can of coconut milk
- 6 tbsp brown rice, rinsed well
- 3 tbsp whole quinoa
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- Put all the ingredients into a small saucepan over a medium heat and bring to the boil. Turn down to a simmer and cook for about 30 minutes until the coconut milk is mostly absorbed and the rice is cooked through.
- Spoon into bowls and serve warm (wearing PJs for maximum comfort!).
- Add some toppings if you like or a squeeze of maple syrup for the adults.
If you don’t like coconut milk you can make this with any regular milk of your choice. It won’t be as naturally sweet so you will almost certainly want to add a topping.
Little Veggie Eats by Rachel Boyett (Vermilion, £14.99) Photography by Tania Dolvers.
Discover more recipes on the blog, here.