Cauliflower cheese makes for one content family!
Ingredients (serves 4)
- Medium cauliflower, with leaves removed and broken into large florets
- 40g butter
- 40g plain flour
- 400ml semi-skimmed milk
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 100g cheddar cheese, grated
- Salt and ground black pepper for seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6.
- Cook the cauliflower florets in a large pan of boiling water for until tender (around 5 minutes). Remove from pan and drain well. Set to one side for later.
- Heat the butter in a pan until melted, then stir in the flour. Cook over a low heat for 2 minutes, stirring regularly. Gradually add the milk, stirring it until the sauce is thick and smooth. Simmer for 5 mins, stirring frequently.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in nearly all the cheese. Season the sauce with salt and freshly ground black pepper and pour over the cauliflower. Scatter over the rest of the cheese. Bake in the oven for 20 mins until the top is golden and bubbling.