For this week’s Tasty Tuesday I’m sharing a delicious risotto recipe from the fabulous Very Veggie Family Cookbook by Sara Ask and Lisa Bjärbo.
Now over to Sara and Lisa for the recipe…
This is the dish that makes frightened children burst out with ‘you’re eating raw mince!’. In our opinion, it’s both beautiful and incredible tasty. Risotto is a vegetarian classic that can be varied in many ways. The base is made out of rice that’s cooked with stock, white wine and cheese until creamy. Then you can flavour the risotto with whatever you fancy: chanterelles, asparagus, roasted tomatoes or green beans. No matter what you choose it’s a good idea to garnish the whole thing with toasted almonds and croûtons for added crunch.
Beetroot Risotto With Toasted Almonds and Goat’s Cheese Cream
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 2 tbsp rapeseed or olive oil
- 3–4 shallots, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 beetroots (about 300g/10½oz), coarsely grated
- 260g/9¼oz/scant 1¼ cups arborio rice or other risotto rice
- 200ml/7fl oz/scant 1 cup white wine
- 2 tbsp concentrated liquid vegetable stock
- 700ml/24fl oz/3 cups water
- 100g/3½oz/1¼ cups Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 100g/3½oz goat’s cheese, crumbled
- 100g/3½oz/generous ¹∕³ cup thick yogurt (10% fat)
- 120g/4¼oz/heaped 1 cup coarsely chopped almonds
- 50g/2oz croûtons (buy ready-made or roast bread cubes with oil and salt in the oven)
- fresh green salad
- Heat the oil in a pan and quickly sauté the shallots and garlic until soft, then add the grated beetroot and the rice.
- Add the wine and bring to the boil, stirring. Then pour in the stock and about 100ml/3½fl oz/scant ½ cup of the water and continue to stir until the liquid has been absorbed. Continue to add water a little at a time, allowing it to cook into the rice.
- Meanwhile, mix together the crumbled goat’s cheese and yogurt for the topping.
- Heat up a dry frying pan and toast the almonds.
- When the rice has softened, stir in the grated cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper, if needed.
- Serve the risotto with almonds, goat’s cheese cream, croûtons and a salad.
The Very Veggie Family Cookbook is available to buy from Amazon
It is published by Pavilion. Recipe photography by Ulrika Pousette.
Do come link up your foodie posts and restaurants reviews:
[inlinkz_linkup id=651146 mode=1]