Success is completely subjective and means a million different things to different people so you must firstly define what success means to you before striving for it. Success is never plain-sailing either nor can it be obtained overnight. Overnight success is a myth. There are also grave potential perils to success: broken relationships, burn-out and out-of-control egos
Yes, it’s complimentary to be deemed successful but the key, for me, anyway, is not financial success but financial security (money has never been a driving-force but there’s no shame if that’s the case as money equals freedom), creative fulfilment and happiness.
I pivoted into this digital career from my former inflexible job directing so I could be there for my kids and work to my own schedule. To feel in control. For the most part, I feel that way. Last year saw me experience trauma with sick relatives, the death of my aunt and frankly, an overwhelming work schedule.
This year already feels calmer and balance has been restored. I feel like I can breathe again and the work/life ratio is positive.
Success must FEEL like success. It mustn’t come at the expense of your mental health or happiness. What’s the point if that’s the case. That’s the pay-off? This and the below are themes covered at mine and Maggy of Red Ted Art‘s first Creative Women’s Network event on Saturday which was nothing short of magical thanks to the amazing women in attendance…
So here they are, my 5 Tips to Creative Success, the pointers which have helped me on my journey so far. I never sit back and think I’ve reached the pinnacle of success and ticked off all of my goals though because a) I haven’t and b) we keep evolving and goals change as we do. There is so much I want to achieve and do. Creativity has no limits. Don’t forget that.
REQUIREMENTS FOR SUCCESS:
- Passion. Without passion, we have nothing. You owe it to yourself to engage in lots of pursuits in your down-time in order to discover what in fact rocks your boat. Ask yourself what you loved as a child? Return to what made your heart sing before the pressures of adult life kicked in, and create a business or side-hustle doing what you love. It is only then that you will succeed because you’ll have something you believe in to fight for when the inevitable going gets tough. Be authentic on and offline: it’s what people need in order to trust, invest and follow you.
- Consistent commitment. Whether it’s writing a blog, creating video content for YT or designing clothes etc etc. your business requires and depends on consistent commitment, not haphazard content over time, in order to grow and thrive. Readers/viewers and consumers need to know they can depend on you for regular content as do Search Engines and clients. The more you exercise your creative muscle, the easier it is to keep on exercising, day after day, week after week.
- Resilience. When the going gets tough, you need to get back up again, and again. This is where passion and love comes in. You love your child so you will be there for them in the good and the bad times (e.g. waking up in the middle of the night despite being close to exhaustion). It’s that unconditional love in your work that you must serve too. Resilience is built like armour over time. You can do this.
- A support network. It takes a village to raise a baby and a village to raise a mumboss as I write in my book. We all need friends whom we can rely on who love us for who we are, and want the best for us. Vitally, we need people who can be honest with us and we them. Integrity is everything. Nurture those precious relationships, be a good friend yourself, and spend quality time with your partner too. Try not to take others for granted or have crazy expectations. Everyone is simply trying their best.
- Time to breathe. You are not a machine. Reapeat after me: YOU ARE NOT A MACHINE. You require down-time, nature, exercise, great food, sleep, laughter and a chance to do absolutely nothing but eat Dairy Milk and watch Reality TV. It is only then that you will feel re-inspired and motivated once more.
If you’d like to preorder my Mumboss book for more inspo, you can HERE.