I’ve been reflecting on the year that’s just gone a lot over the Christmas break as it was a time where I totally kicked back, hung out with those I love without deadlines or school runs and it got me thinking about what I’d do differently this year. What I’d like to switch up in 2017.
Reading Fitness star Zanna Van Dyke‘s brilliantly inspiring post this morning, 7 Changes I’m Making in 2017 encouraged me to get those thoughts onto (digital) paper. To put it on the blog. It always makes me more accountable when I blog about my plans so here’s what I hope to do differently this year.
- Be kinder to myself. That means taking my own advice and practising self-care every single day even if it means just 20 minutes on the mat doing yoga or reading a book in the bath. I’m good at taking care of others (I love it, I was maternal pre-kids too, just ask my uni mates who all survived thanks to my cooking!) but I’m guilty of putting myself last far too frequently which leaves me shattered, anxious and prone to crazy PMT episodes rendering useless too. Frazzled mama is not good for anyone. I’m going to stop making excuses and will try to work out most days with a rest day too, and I’m going to chill the heck out more, and not just when everything’s gotten too much either. I’m going to bank that ‘me time’ so I have reserves when life gets too much.
- Saying no more. I got pretty good at this to be fair and I even wrote a post about it last year, and hilst I’m in a good place and feel happy in my skin, who I am and what I’m doing, I’m often plagued with guilt if I say no to events, emails and others’ requests. I do need to say no more and not worry it will offend people if I do. Saying no more means being able to say yes more too. I definitely need to prioritise my time better and this is the year it happens. Saying no to things or events that don’t make sense to me or my business means I get time with those who matter most: my family and friends and they allow me to focus on all that nourishes me.
- Consistently eating healthier food. I go through stages where I’m incredibly virtuous when it comes to food but then I get bored quickly and indulge like it’s Christmas every day, for weeks on end. This year, I’m going to be more balanced about the way I eat. Everything in moderation as the Greeks say (or is that just my Dad?!). Treats should be just that: treats- not coffee with squirty cream every single day like a greedy guts. I want to eat more plants too and be more ethically minded when it comes to food. I loved doing Veganuary last January and whilst I won’t be going vegan, I do want to get more greens and meat alternatives into my diet for sure.
- Direct more. I was a multi award winning filmmaker and director pre blogging and vlogging and whilst I do lots of video collabs and vlogs on my platforms, this is the year I’m ramping it up and putting my years of experience and skills to greater use. Video is exploding and I’ll be back in the director’s chair as well as firmly in front of the camera Clint Eastwood style (if CE did FB Lives and YT) more. And action…
- Letting my hair down more. I had a few wild nights this last year and my annual girlie holiday to Cannes which was epic and took 2 weeks to recover from but I’m all about letting my hair down more in 2017. Why? Because taking that time out for me, precious, silly, carefree fun with friends makes me a happier person and better mother, wife and blogger.
I’d love to read what you’re going to do differently this year!