Hi guys, I’m excitingly working with Simply Beef and Lamb on their Live Peasant challenge and if you missed my first post in this meaty mini series then please head over to see the hearty, healthy and filling Lamb, Vegetable and Lentil Soup with Cabbage.
Today though, my focus is on stewing and this flavoursome pepperpot stew made in just one pot in the slow cooker (or if like me you don’t own one *adds to Christmas list) then in your oven for hours while you work/clean/keep up with the Kardashians!
I always opt for the finest quality meat, which doesn’t mean the most expensive, pick up Red Tractor quality assured cuts or visit your local butcher.
Now, I wanted to share some more traditional cooking terms too that many of us seem to have forgotten about that really help when preparing and making meat dishes. Do you know your casseroles from your stews? Take the test!
Casserole: Casseroling takes place inside the oven with heat circulating around the pot. Typically ingredients are covered in a small amount of liquid and consists of pieces of meat, chopped vegetables, a starchy binder such as flour, rice, potato or pasta, all topped off with a crunchy or cheesy topping.
Stew: Stewing is done on top of a cooker with heat directly under the pot. Stews are typically covered and cooked at a relatively low temperature, with the ingredients covered in a generous amount of liquid.
Braising: Like casseroling, this method is done in the oven, but often with larger, whole pieces of meat that are cooked in a limited amount of liquid.
After all that ‘work’ you’ll have worked up an appetite so check out this low cost, tasty stew perfect to freeze and feed the family all week long and a favourite for Sunday lunch in this house too.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: HIGH 4-6 HOURS
LOW 8-10 HOURS in the slow cooker.
Oven: 180°C 2 1/2 hours.
- 450g/ 1lb lean stewing beef, such as shin, cut into 2.5cm/ 1inch cubes
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed OR 5ml/ 1tsp garlic purée
- 1 x 2.5cm/ 1inch piece fresh root ginger, peeled and chopped OR 10ml/2tsp ginger purée
- 2 medium onions, peeled and chopped OR 1 x 450g pack chopped onions
- 1 fresh red chilli, deseeded and chopped or a large pinch dried chilli flakes
- 200ml/ 7 fl oz good, hot beef stock
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 450g/ 1lb potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 225g/ 8oz pumpkin or butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and roughly cubed
- 1 x 450g can red kidney or butter beans, drained
- 150g/5½oz baby spinach leaves
1. Place all the ingredients except the spinach in a large slow cooker and cook for
4-6 hours on HIGH or 8-10 hours on LOW.
2. During the last 20 minutes of cooking time add the spinach. Cover and cook for
remaining five minutes.
3. Spoon into soup bowls and serve with crusty bread.
Will you take part in Live Peasant and start creating delicious meat dishes too?
Don’t forget to follow them on social media too: