This delicious, filling dish is ideal to cook up at the start of the week before freezing to be eaten whenever you feel like it or equally makes a perfect weekend dish for all of the family.
The third and final recipe in my mini series for the Live Peasant challenge, this Moroccan dish is one of my all-time favourites.
With the jewelled, tart pomegranates and soft, sweet apricots against the succulent lamb it is magically moorish and even my kids ate it!
All are time effective dishes which save waste and money and can be made in one pot or tray. These meals I’ve shared are perfect for busy families on the go who don’t want to compromise on taste and quality and love DELICIOUS grub!
Always opt for the Red Tractor quality assured meat when you buy your cuts or head to your local butcher.
Now for this beauty.
Get ready to drool!
Lamb Tagine with Pomegranates
Preparation time: 20-25 minutes
Cooking time: Approximately 2 hours 10 minutes
- 675g/ 1½lb lean boneless lamb shoulder or leg, cut into 2.5cm/ 1inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped OR 1 x 300g pack diced onions
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed or 10ml/ 2tsp garlic puree
- 1 x 170g jar tagine paste or 45ml/ 3tbsp Tagine spice paste
- 450ml/¾pint hot water
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 3-4 dried apricots, roughly chopped
- 45ml/3tbsp freshly chopped coriander
- 30ml/2tbsp fresh pomegranate seeds
1. Heat the oil in a large 1.7L/ 3pint ovenproof dish, add the onions and garlic. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
2. Add the paste and lamb. Cook for 4-6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add the water. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 2 hours.
4. 20 minutes before the end of the cooking time add the apricots. Cover and continue to cook for the remainder of the cooking time.
5. Garnish with the coriander and pomegranate seeds and serve with steamed couscous or rice.
This recipe works well in a low oven at Gas mark 3, 170°C, 325°F
Will you be trying the Live Peasant recipes for yourself too?
Pick up a spoon and dive in!
Why not follow them on social media too: